o muzeu


The beginning of ethnographic research in Uherské Hradiště region coincides with the revivalistic movement in the 1880s and with a wave of ethnography following the Czech-Slavonic Ethnographic Exhibition in Prague in 1895. It was the Olomouc Ethnography Company that developed the idea of collecting and preserving everything created by people and opened a new chapter in the development of ethnography in Moravia. The activities of the company were often pointed out by professors Jan Havelka and Josef Klvaňa, both working in Uherské Hradiště. With the same idea and mission came to Uherské Hradiště-Kunovice also František Kretz, a teacher, who was the first to take up collecting ethnographic material with intent to preserve these objects for future museum display.

In the year 1913 was set up an ethnography and archaeology group of the local branch of the National Club in Uherské Hradiště under the direction of Josef Klvaňa and František Kretz. It had to prepare a Slovácko exhibition in 1915 which was preceded by the foundation of Slovácké Museum as the centre of ethnographic research in Hradiště region with a significant cultural and educational mission.

In 1915, first ethnographic magazines were published in the region. František Kretz issued Anthology of Ethnography Museum in Uherské Hradiště. War events led to the termination of this anthology and interrupted the preparation of the Exhibitions of Slovácko 1915.

Within the next ten years the efforts to re-open the museum were stronger and stronger. The Ethnography and Museum Company founded in 1919 appeared to be most active. Thanks to František Jilík and Stanislav Lolek, professors at Gymnazium, and to Kretz´s legacy, the collection fund of the museum got larger and its quality improved.

The foundation of the Museum and Archaeology Company in the year 1933 stimulated ethnographic research. From 1935, as part of the preparation of Slovácko Exhibition 1937, the interest in ethnography in Uherské Hradiště region grew. After docent Antonín Václavík came to Slovácké Museum on 1 April, the orientation of the museum changed completely – its goal was to build a regional museum, adopt a scientific approach to collecting and establish contacts to gather materials and undertake research.

In the first post-war years there were attempts to build Slovácko Study Institute as a place for planning research activities not only to explore folk culture and store study materials but also to make it possible for scientists and amateurs to study scientific issues and to deepen cooperation with other institutes.

At the turn of the 1950s and 1960s the institution got professionalized. In 1958 Dr. Josef Jančář assumed an office and focused on research and collecting material for the ethnographic exhibition presenting farming tools in Slovácko. This was the beginning of a purposeful activity aimed at collecting, research and exhibiting. Topical matters such as depositories and work space were being discussed. Exhibition and publication activities spread across borders

To promote publishing activities, the first editorial board was established, and along with the museum board they assessed and coordinated the activities of Slovácké Museum.

In the years 1967 and 1968, with the help of then national committees, of locals and students from the whole of Slovácko, were collected thousands of objects that enhanced the collection fund of the museum. Afterwards, the researched material was sorted out, preserved and stored.

In the early 1990 Slovácké Museum made use of new opportunities which also affected ethnography. On the one hand, the department lost control over most valuable collections at Nový Světlov chateau which became the property of the town of Bojkovice, and over the depositary in the object of the former presbytery in the village of Kostelany, on the other hand, as a compensation, it got under administration two listed farmsteads in the village of Topolná in which it built an exhibition of folk architecture and quite large depositories in the new barn replicas. The exhibition area in the main building was adjusted and the space for the staff was re-furnished. The collection fund was continually refilled and in 2007 the ethnography fund comprised over 35,000 items, 1,200 of which were installed in the Slovácko ethnographic exhibition.

The ethnography department of Slovácké Museum cooperates with the International Committee for Study of Folk Customs in Carpathia (MKKK) in participating in a number of ethnographic researches, organizing conferences and issuing proceedings and publications (e.g. Bibliography of Folk Customs, Parades, Saints in Folk Tradition, Magic and Religion, Cult and Elements, Judge-made Law, Greenery in Folk Traditions, Customs and Traditions of Socioprofessional Groups, Donations and The Donee).

Professionals top their terrain researches with a short-term or long-term exhibitions, arrange presentations of Christmas and Easter handicraft products with workshops for children, and since 1998, after Institutes of Handicraft were cancelled (ÚLUV), they have been organizing courses of handiwork.


Slovácké muzeum v Uherském Hradišti,
příspěvková organizace
Smetanovy sady 179
Uherské Hradiště 686 01
Telefon: 572 556 556, 572 551 370
E-mail: info@slovackemuzeum.cz
Podrobné kontakty



Facebook YouTube Odběr novinek RSS akce RSS dokumenty eBadatelna Zlínského kraje